InfoQ recently spoke to Zend CEO Andi Gutmans to know about the future of cloud computing, role of PHP in mobile apps and security related aspects.
PHP+QB is an alternate virtual machine for PHP that claims to offers an order of magnitude improvement in performance. The downside is that it requires everything to be statically typed, arrays have severe limitations put on them, and objects are not supported.
Zend, the company which builds PHP platform has released the results of its annual Developer Pulse 2013 survey and it indicates the growth of HTML5, native apps, Objective C, Java, Geo-location support, Amazon Web Services including general work habits of developers.
Zend Framework 2.2.0 includes several usability enhancements and improvements in addition to new plugin and module managers.
Jelastic, Java and PHP based cloud hosting platform has released a new plugin that enables developers to manage their web applications from within the NetBeans IDE.
Latest Rackspace developments include .NET SDK, PowerClient – a PowerShell-based management tool – and PHP mobile back-end.
Phalanger, the PHP runtime for .NET and Mono, has reached a significant milestone with the eleven popular PHP extensions being replaced with .NET equivalents. Previously these extensions, written in native C or C++, were limiting Phalanger to only running in 32-bit mode.
Jelastic has announced the availability of version 1.9 with support for FTP/FTPS, NGINX caching, Apache TomEE and MariaDB 10.
Besides Java, Jelastic has added PHP to their platform for service hosting providers. This article contains an interview with Dmitry Sotnikov, COO at Jelastic, with more inside information about their PaaS solution.
Facebook has announced using HHVM, a HipHop VM with JIT compilation, in production, a solution that has unified their development and deployment environments, providing significant performance gains for developers.
Overview of the largest gathering of the PHP and Web Community in Europe, which took place last week in Mainz, Germany.
WebMatrix 2 is a free development tool developed by Microsoft that enables developers to create ASP.NET, PHP based applications easily. WebMatrix 2 includes new templates, improved intellisense with support for Windows Azure.
2012 marks the fifth year since Microsoft started courting PHP developers. The popular language can be found in everything from their entry level IDE WebMatrix to the high-end cloud platform Windows Azure. SQL Server is a major part of the overall initiative and they are making sure the PHP drivers take advantage of SQL Server 2012’s new features.
PHP 5.4, the first major update since 2009, was finalized this month. This release includes several language enhancements including support for Traits as well as the removal of some controversial features.
Travis CI, a cloud-based continuous integration (CI) offering for open source projects on Github, has announced support for Java builds, as well as Scala and Groovy additions. After gaining traction among the Ruby open source community the project is now looking into the possibility of expansion to a hosted CI service (nicknamed Travis Pro).
CONTENT IN THIS BOX PROVIDED BY OUR SPONSOR
- DevOps All-In-One-Guide: Tools, Case Studies, Articles
- 5 Unsung Tools of DevOps
- DevOps and Continuous Delivery: How to Reduce Cycle Times
- Mobile App Creation: 5 Key Phases for Success
- Infographic: State of the Mobile Stack
Get visibility across your entire software ecosystem in one single intuitive UI. One tool for all you’re programming languages: Ruby, PHP, Java, .NET, Python, iOS and Android.
New Relic is the only fully SaaS web app performance tool that monitors your entire application stack in real time with a single product and a single UI.
New Relic lets you:
- Increase visibility: Monitor your web or mobile app’s overall health, performance and availability
- Troubleshoot proactively: Quickly identify issues before they disrupt critical services & impact your bottom line
- Scale languages: Monitor your current languages and scale your APM to optimize your future needs
- Keeping the Mobile Enterprise Moving
- Breaking Down ApDex
- Your Application Toolkit – One Platform to Easily View All Metrics
- In Any Language: Adapting to the Polyglot Programming Challenge
- App Developers-Agents of Change and Influence
- Are Your Mobile Apps Really Enterprise Ready?
On Demand Webinars:
- The Advantages of Mobile Application Performance Monitoring
- The Business Case for APM in the Enterprise
- Engaging Mobile Users: Maintaining Relationships After the Download