WIN ONE OF EVERY TEN DAYS!Register now
IBM "2013 Code Rally Online Challenge" 2013 OFFICIAL RULES
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT IS NECESSARY TO ENTER. MAKING A PURCHASE WILL NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED. Open to participants age 18 and older, and have reached the age of majority in participant's home state, who are legal residents of one of the fifty United States or the District of Columbia.
- Registration: To qualify to participate in the IBM Code Rally Online Challenge (the "Challenge"), you must have access to a computer. In order to register, you must complete the on-line registration form, available at InfoQ.com/code. Participants will need to provide their first name, last name and email address. Registration is open from July 31, 2013 at 12:00 PM Eastern Standard Time ("EST") and will be closed on September 18, 2013 at 12:00 PM EST ("Registration Period"). Follow all instructions and complete the on-line registration form in its entirety. The Challenge will take place from, July 31, 2013 at 12:00 PM EST to September 20, 2013 at 12:00 PM EST (the "Challenge Period"). Participants are expected to have their own computer and will need to pre-install a game and software provided by Sponsor ("Code Rally"). Sponsor is not responsible for any computer related issues, as described more fully below. Code Rally is compatible with Windows XP/Vista/7/. Participants may follow the instructions on how to install the Code Rally at https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/code-rally/entry/download5
- Code Rally Challenge: Once registered, entrants will have the opportunity to write and submit an original java based car artificial intelligence engine ("the "Code") for a vehicle using WAS Liberty and WAS developer tools for Eclipse. The goal in writing the Code is to use one's development skills to manipulate the artificial intelligence of the vehicle to compete in a series of races as the fastest vehicle against other entrants' original coding and/or any pre-written vehicles with artificial intelligence engines included by Sponsor in the Challenge (the "Challenge Race"). There will be five separate races on five different tracks from July 31, 2013 to September 20, 2013. Track 1 Code Rally Challenge will start July 31, 2013 at 12:00 pm EST and end August 7, 2013 at 12:00 pm EST. Track 2 Code Rally Challenge will start August 7, 2013 at 12:00 pm EST and end August 17, 2013 at 12:00 pm EST. Track 3 Code Rally Challenge will start August 17, 2013 at 12:00 pm EST and end August 27, 2013 at 12:00 PM EST. Track 4 Code Rally Challenge will start August 27, 2013 at 12:00 pm EST and end September 6, 2013 at 12:00 pm EST. Track 5 Code Rally Challenge will start September 6, 2013 at 12:00 pm EST and end September 20, 2013 at 12:00 pm EST. One prize will be given away for each of the 5 tracks. For tracks 1, 2, 3, and 4 combined, each entrant can only win once, but is eligible to win track 5 Grand Prize even if entrant wins a prize for any of tracks 1, 2, 3 or 4. Once the Code is submitted, winners will be determined based on performance. In the event of a tie, the tied entrants will have their Codes entered into an additional Challenge Race against only those tied entrants to break the tie. Subject to verification, the entrants who produce the fastest finishing Code in each of the five (5) tracks will be deemed the five (5) winners. There is no limit to how many times entrants can enter, subject to the limits of the timing of the Challenge Period.
All entries, submissions and Code (collectively, "Submissions") are the sole and exclusive property of Sponsor. Entrants agree that their Submission will be created as a "work for hire" and all rights therein shall vest in Sponsor. If any Submission (including without limitation the code) or part thereof is not "work for hire" or as otherwise necessary to ensure full rights to Sponsor, entrant hereby transfers all rights to and in such Submission or part thereof to Sponsor. Entrant shall execute any documentation necessary to transfer ownership in and to the Submission (including without limitation the Code) as requested by Sponsor. At Sponsor's discretion, participants may be required to submit source code to substantiate results reported in the entry.
By entering this Challenge, you represent and warrant to Sponsor that each of your Submissions (including, without limitation, all Code): (i) is your own original creation and is 100% original, (ii) is solely and exclusively owned by you; (iii) does not infringe on third party rights, (iv) has not won previous awards or been posted on another web site prior to submission;(v) is suitable for publication and (vi) will not contain or transmit any viruses, worms, Trojan horses, adware, spyware, malware or other harmful code or programs. Each of the foregoing shall be in Sponsor's sole discretion.
In the event of a dispute, entry is deemed submitted by the authorized account holder of the e-mail address used as the user name at the time of registration. Authorized account holder is defined as the natural person who is assigned to the e-mail address by an Internet access provider, on-line service provider, or other organization responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. If your registration form is incomplete, you will not be eligible for the Challenge. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for computer system, hardware, software, network program, or other errors, failures, or malfunctions of any kind, whether human or technical in nature, in the transmission or receipt of entries or registrations.
- Eligibility: Challenge is only open to participants who, by the entry date, are at least age 18 or older and have reached the age of majority in participant's home state, and are legal residents of one of the 50 United States, or the District of Columbia. Employees, directors and officers of Sponsor or OgilvyAction and their immediate families (parents, children, siblings, spouse) or members of the same household (whether related or not) are not permitted to enter the Challenge. Participants who have not registered and submitted Code for the Challenge during the Challenge Period are not eligible for entry to the Challenge. Participation in the Challenge is void where prohibited, taxed or restricted by law. You are not authorized to participate in this Challenge if you are not a legal resident of the 50 United States or District of Columbia. All federal, state, and local laws apply.
a. Four (4) prize winners (1 winner for each Tracks 1,2,3 and 4) will each be eligible to win a Personal Tablet. Average Retail Value ("ARV") for each prize: $400.00. Total ARV: $1600.00 b. One (1) Grand Prize winner (of Track 5) will be eligible to win a Mobile Computer. Average Retail Value ("ARV") for grand prize: $2000.00. Total ARV: $2000.00
Prize is non-transferable. No substitution or cash redemption. In the case of unavailability of prize, Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value. All unspecified expenses are the sole responsibility of each winner. All federal, state, or other taxes, including without limitation income taxes, are the sole responsibility of winners. Grand Prize winner will receive a 1099 form for the total value of prize (stated herein).
- Notification: The potential Grand Prize and Prize Winners will be a total of five (5) entrants, each of whom produced the Code with the fastest vehicle finishing time in his/her track and each such entrant will be notified via email by Sponsor representatives on or about 3 business days after the Challenge Race is complete. Potential winners are subject to verification by Sponsor. Potential winners will be required to sign and return, where legal, an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability/Publicity Release and/or rights transfer document within five (5) days of prize notification. If any winner cannot be contacted within five (5) calendar days of first notification attempt, if any prize or prize notification is returned as undeliverable, if any winner rejects his/her prize or in the event of noncompliance with these Official Rules, such prize will be forfeited and may be awarded to the Submission with the next best Challenge time. Upon prize forfeiture, no compensation will be given.
- Conditions: Participation in the Challenge and, as applicable, acceptance of prize constitutes each entrant's permission for Sponsor to use his/her name, address (city and state), likeness, photograph, picture, portrait, voice, biographical information, entry and/or any statements made by each entrant regarding the Challenge and/or Sponsor for advertising and promotional purposes without notice or additional compensation, except where prohibited by law. By participating, entrants and winners agree to release and hold harmless Sponsor and promotion and advertising agencies, including without limitation OgilvyAction, and each of their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates and related companies, partners, representatives, successors, assigns, officers, directors, employees and agents ("Challenge Entities") from any and all liability for loss, harm, damage, injury, cost or expense whatsoever including without limitation, property damage, personal injury and/or death which may occur in connection with, preparation for, travel to/from, or participation in Challenge, or possession, acceptance, use or misuse of prize or participation in any Challenge-related activity and for any claims based on publicity rights, defamation, invasion of privacy, merchandise delivery, copyright infringement, trademark infringement or any other intellectual property-related or other causes of action. Entrants who do not comply with these Official Rules, or attempt to interfere with this Challenge in any way shall be disqualified. Sponsor is not responsible if Challenge cannot take place or if any prize cannot be awarded due to travel cancellations, delays or interruptions beyond Sponsor's reasonable control, including without limitation, failures of the internet, technical malfunctions, acts of God, acts of war, natural disasters, weather or acts of terrorism. You acknowledge that the Challenge Entities have neither made, nor are in any manner responsible or liable for, any warranty, condition, representation or guarantee, expressed or implied in fact or in law, relative to prize or to any portion thereof, including but not limited to its quality, merchantability, mechanical condition, or fitness for a particular purpose. Entrants who do not comply with these Official Rules or attempt to interfere with this Challenge in any way shall be disqualified.
- Additional Terms: Any attempted form of entry other than as set forth herein these Official Rules is prohibited; no automatic, programmed; robotic or similar means of entry are permitted. The Challenge Entities are not responsible for technical, hardware, software, telephone or other communications malfunctions, errors or failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, web site, Internet, or ISP availability, unauthorized human intervention, traffic congestion, incomplete or inaccurate capture of entry information (regardless of cause) or failed, incomplete, garbled, jumbled or delayed computer transmissions which may limit one's ability to enter the Challenge, including any injury or damage to participant's or any other person's computer relating to or resulting from participating in this Challenge or downloading any materials in this Challenge. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify, extend or suspend this Challenge should (in its sole discretion) virus, bugs, non-authorized human intervention, fraud or other causes beyond its control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness or proper conduct of the Challenge. In such case, Sponsor may select the winners from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by Sponsor. Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds, in its sole discretion, to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Challenge or web site. Sponsor may prohibit an entrant from participating in the Challenge or winning a prize if, in its sole discretion, it determines that said entrant is attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the Challenge by cheating, hacking, deception, or other unfair playing practices (including without limitation the use of automated quick entry programs) or intending to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other entrants or IBM representatives.
- CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CHALLENGE MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
- Limitation of Liability; Disclaimer of Warranties: IN NO EVENT WILL THE CHALLENGE ENTITIES BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR LOSSES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF YOUR ACCESS TO AND USE OF THE SERVICE AND/OR THE CHALLENGE, DOWNLOADING FROM AND/OR PRINTING MATERIAL DOWNLOADED FROM ANY WEBSITES ASSOCIATED WITH THE CHALLENGE. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE CHALLENGE ENTITIES' TOTAL LIABILITY TO YOU FOR ALL DAMAGES, LOSSES, OR CAUSES OF ACTION EXCEED $10. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, THIS CHALLENGE AND ALL PRIZES ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. SOME JURISDICTIONS MAY NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS SO SOME OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. CHECK YOUR LOCAL LAWS FOR ANY RESTRICTIONS OR LIMITATIONS REGARDING THESE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS.
- Disputes; Governing Law: Sponsor's decisions are final and binding in all matters and disputes relating to this Challenge, including, but not limited to, interpretation and application of these Official Rules. For greater certainty, such matters and disputes are to be resolved in Sponsor's sole discretion. The parties waive all rights to jury trial in any action or proceeding instituted in connection with these Official Rules, including, without limitation, the Challenge. For any controversy or claim arising out of or relating to these Official Rules and/or the Challenge, the parties irrevocably submit and consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the state and federal courts located in or closest to the County of Westchester in the State of New York. The parties agree not to raise the defense of forum non conveniens. THESE OFFICIAL RULES AND THE INTERPRETATION OF ITS TERMS SHALL BE GOVERNED BY AND CONSTRUED IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE LAWS OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK WITHOUT REGARD TO ITS CONFLICTS OF LAWS RULES.
- List of Winners. To obtain a list of winners, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope by December 22, 2013 to: James Gianotti, International Business Machines Corporation, 2 Woodchester Road, Franklin, Massachusetts 02038. Vermont residents may omit return postage.
- Sponsor: International Business Machines Corporation, Route 100, Somers, New York 10589.
Powered by IBM WebSphere Application Server Liberty Profile | Developed using WebSphere Application Server Developer Tools, IBM Rational Team Concert and JazzHub | Hosted on IBM Smart Cloud
A highly composable, dynamic application server profile.
A lightweight set of tools for developing, assembling, and deploying applications to different WAS runtimes.
A family cloud computing technologies and services for securely building and using private, public and hybrid clouds.
Integrates task tracking, source control, agile planning with continuous builds and a configurable process.
Provides a complete, hosted development environment for public and private projects, and tools to get you working quickly.