Article: An Overview of the eXo Platform
This article, written by Benjamin Mestrallet and Tugdual Grall, provides an overview of the eXo platform, the Portlet 1.0 (JSR 168) and Portlet 2.0 (JSR 286) specifications. Topics covered include new features in the eXo Web 2.0 Portal, new capabilities in the Portlet 2.0 API, Inter-portlet communication, the eXo Java Content Repository, eXo Enterprise Content Management and the eXo business model.
From the article:
The Portlet API 2.0 was released on June 13th 2008, and eXo is the first implementation to be compliant and provide both the portlet container and the portal to consume these portlets. The specification is an extension of the JSR 168, and the expert group has put a special focus on ensuring that the JSR 168 portlets will work in a JSR 286 container.
The Portlet 2.0 API introduces many new features such as:
- Inter-Portlet Communication (IPC) which allows the sending of events and parameters to other portlets (not necessary in the same WAR)
- Portlet Filters to mimic the servlet filters behavior
- Public Parameters to share render parameters with all portlets during the render phase
- Advanced Cache Behavior as this part was very limited in JSR 168
- A new serverResource() method to better handle image insertion (instead of going through a servlet)
- An URL Listener mechanism to trigger a handler when an URL is called
Read the full article here.
Anatole Tresch Mar 03, 2015