SQL Server 2008 Major Updates
Microsoft has released numerous updates for SQL Server 2008: Service Pack 1, Express Edition SP1, April Feature Pack, 2008 Upgrade Advisor, Reporting Services Report Builder 2.0, Reporting Services SharePoint Add-In, Data Mining Add-In for MS Office.
- Roll-up of Cumulative Update 1 to 3
- Quick Fix Engineering (QFE) updates
- Slipstream – You are now able to integrate the base installation with service packs (or Hotfixes) and install in a single step.
- Service Pack Uninstall – You are now able to uninstall only the Service Pack (without removing the whole instance)
- Report Builder 2.0 Click Once capability
SQL Server 2008 Express Edition SP1 is a similar update for the free edition of SQL Server.
Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Feature Pack, April 2009 is a "collection of stand-alone install packages that provide additional value for SQL Server 2008." Visit the download page for full details; the feature pack contains many useful utilities, including:
- Microsoft ADOMD.NET ADOMD.NET is a Microsoft .NET Framework object model that enables software developers to create client-side applications that browse metadata and query data stored in Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Analysis Services. ADOMD.NET is a Microsoft ADO.NET provider with enhancements for online analytical processing (OLAP) and data mining.
- Microsoft Core XML Services (MSXML) 6.0
- 2008 Management Objects The SQL Server Management Objects (SMO) is a .NET Framework object model that enables software developers to create client-side applications to manage and administer SQL Server objects and services. This object model will work with SQL Server 2000, SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server 2008.
- PowerShell Extensions for SQL Server
- 2008 Replication Management Objects
- Sync Framework
- Remote Blob Store
Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Upgrade Advisor, April 2009 analyzes instances of SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 2005 to help prepare servers for upgrades to SQL Server 2008.
Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services Report Builder 2.0, April 2009 offers a report authoring environment similar to MS Office 2007. There is a lot in this tool; if a system currently has users creating reports in Access or Excel, the new Report Builder is definitely worth reviewing. This new 2.0 version is focused on simplying the process of creating and editing reports.
Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services Add-in for Microsoft SharePoint Technologies, April 2009 facilitates leveraging SQL Server 2008 report processing and management capabilities within Windows SharePoint Services (WSS) 3.0 or Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007. The Add-In includes a report view web part that provides report viewing capability, export to other rendering formats, page navigation, search, print, and zoom. The Add-In also includes support for creating SRS subscriptions and standard WSS managements of SRS report server content types.
Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Data Mining Add-ins for Microsoft Office 2007, April 2009 exposes more of SQL Server 2008 predictive analytics to Office Excel 2007 and Office Visio 2007.
Doc List Oct 25, 2014