Updater Application Block Updated For .NET 2.0
With the realease of the .NET Framework 2.0 the most effective choice for application updating is ClickOnce. However, there are some cases where ClickOnce cannot be used. A Windows service for instance, has no user interface and therefore ClickOnce is not an option.
The Updater Application Block provides a convenient alternative to ClickOnce. This latest version has been updated to include support for the .NET Framwork 2.0. It also has been enhanced to use Enterprise Library 2.0 for configuration.
Additional features listed on the site:
- The code compiles on .Net 2.0 of course :-)
- Updater Application Block uses Enterprise Library 2.0 (Jan 2006) for the configuration
- Quickstarts migrated to support the new configuration system
- Breaking changes only related to configuration and not the Updater API
- Bits Downloader now handles broken downloads gracefully (this is a fix to the original implementation)
- UpdaterTask serialization fixed. There was a bug on the net 1.1 version of UAB related to the partial update scenario. When some files were removed from the manifest, the UAB serializes the UpdaterTask with the original version of the files. This caused the ApplicationDeployProcessor to fail.
- Partial update scenario fixed.
- The algorithms that might be used to calculate file hashes are non-keyed hash algorithms like: MD5; RIPEMD160; SHA1; SHA256; SHA384; SHA512
- Manifest tool fixed to correctly support salt enabled hashes
- The solution assumes you have EntLib installed in your machine to the default location (c:\program Files\...)
This release of the Updater Application Block is an update only. No new features have been included.
wrong location for UAB2 listed
the project was moved to the codeplex website instead, it can be found as "Updater Application Block" under the "Smart Client Guidance" project. It is kind of buried, it's a wonder anyone can actually find it.