Convinced that “whatever can be unit tested should be unit tested”, Mona El Mahdy, a Software Engineer in Test at Google, has written a blog post proposing several approaches to perform unit tests on the user interface of Android applications. Mahdy recommends Robolectric and the Android Studio Gradle plug-in for general unit testing, and Espresso or UI Automator for creating and running UI tests.
Sensible Cocoa STV 4.0 is a framework that allows you to create native data-driven apps for iOS by defining your data model and then visually binding it to your UI in Xcode. Sensible Cocoa claims that “developers save on average about 70% of their development time when they start using STV in their applications.” InfoQ has talked to Sensible Cocoa founder Tarek Sakr about their product.
Itty Bitty apps last week released (http://revealapp.com/features/#debug) version 1.5 of their iOS layout debugging app Reveal; which features 35 new features and a refreshed user interface.
Facebook and Instagram shared from their experience improving their apps to perform better on various Android devices and over different network connection speeds during the session Scaling Android Apps for Emerging Markets recorded at @Scale 2014.
Facebook has been working in the last two years to evolve the architecture of its iOS app with the goal of improving performance, abstractions, and the underlying development model. Adam Ernst and Arl Grant, software engineers at Facebook, explained what issues they had to solve and how they did in a @Scale 2014 talk.
Facebook has open-sourced its AsyncDisplayKit, a framework originally built for Facebook's Paper app that promises to make it easier to keep apps smooth and responsive even on older devices.
Alan Cooper shares his views on the state of UX Design and how the fourth edition of his book, About Face, helps designers address challenges such as flat design, wearable devices, and implementing goal-directed design.
InterState is a new programming language and environment aimed at addressing the challenges of writing and reusing user interface code. InterState's creators Stephen Oney, Brad Myers, and Joel Brandt claim in their paper that InterState can help programmers to better understand, navigate, and reuse their GUI components even with complex interfaces involving thousands of objects.
Google announced 1.1 release of LiquidFun, an open-source 2D physics engine including fluid simulation. The engine opens new possibilities to both game developers and UI designers, says Google. LiquidFun now officially supports iOS in addition to Android, Linux, and OS X.
Google is introducing Material Design, a visual language incorporating design principles for user interfaces spanning a multitude of devices from wearables to smartphones, tablets, desktops and TVs. Material Design attempts to provide fluid motion on tactile surfaces, but mouse and keyboard-based devices are also considered.
This article includes several guidelines for creating websites that scale for different screen sizes and form factors.
Up until now one could write with Xamarin cross-platform native mobile applications that shared 80% of the code on average with the rest of 20% representing UI code that had to be written separately for each platform. The latest release, Xamarin 3.0, introduces Xamarin.Forms, a MVVM library for writing a single UI code in C# being executed natively on iOS, Android or Windows Phone.
Facebook has recently open-sourced Pop, the animation engine behind its iOS Paper app. Pop aims at making it easier for developers to go beyond fire-and-forget animations, thus enabling interactive animations. In addition to static animations, Pop supports spring and decay dynamic animations, as well allowing the creation of custom animations.
This article has been updated based on community and Jing Chen (Facebook)’s reaction. (See the Update section below.) Facebook came to the conclusion that MVC does not scale up for their needs and has decided to use a different pattern instead: Flux.
Apple is offering registered iOS developers a new microsite collecting in a central location videos, documents, and whitepapers about User Interface design for iOS 7. The new site aims at providing developers with the necessary information "to build polished, engaging, and intuitive apps for iOS 7."