When writing an add-in or extension for Visual Studio developers have traditionally had to choose between EnvDTE and the IVs interfaces. In an attempt to create library that is both more powerful than EnvDTE and easier to use than IVs interfaces, Clarius Labs is offering what they call “Clide: An Enjoyable Visual Studio Automation API”.
First Floor Software, makers of XAML Spy, is now offering a free version of their flagship product. Known as XAML Spy Express, this product allows developers to browse the visual tree of a running WPF, Silverlight, Windows Phone, or Windows Store application.
Microsoft has deprecated the Visual Studio Add-in infrastructure. According to MSDN, “Visual Studio add-ins are deprecated in Visual Studio 2013. You should upgrade your add-ins to VSPackage extensions.”
When a .NET application fails in production the developer is often left with just a memory dump. Since Visual Studio cannot handle dumps, you have to instead look at a tool called WinDbg. Though powerful, these can be difficult to use so developers occasionally create their own extensions. Once such developer is Rodney Viana, who has just released netext 1.6.1 as an open source project.
GitHub has released Octokit.NET which enables integration of GitHub API into .NET Framework 4.5 applications. It also includes integration tests that access the API by using FullBuild MSBuild target and Octokit.Tests.Integration assembly.
Visual Studio 2012 & 2013 both receive new enhancements. Visual Studio Tools for Git hits the 1.0 milestone and is now available for VS2012. And a couple of IDE enhancements help VS2013 RTM evolve.
The domain describes your business and in Domain Driven Design, (DDD), the domain is the most important ingredient of the application, Andras Nemes explains when starting a series of blog posts on building a web service based on Domain-Driven Design principles. His goal is not to cover all details and aspects of DDD, his ambition though is that also developers completely new to DDD can benefit.
The recently released Visual Studio 2013 includes new project templates with several improvements which enables developers to build projects and applications faster.
The arrival of VS2013 RTM brings several performance enhancements to production. Microsoft intends for these to benefit all developers using larger solutions. Complementing this are several more refinements for C++ developers over what was found in VS2012.
Microsoft has released Visual Studio 2013. All versions are available for download to MSDN subscribers and the general public.
Microsoft has released Entity Framework Power Tools Beta 4 with support for Entity Framework 6 and Visual Studio 2013.
Licensing restrictions on .NET Portable Class Libraries have long frustrated developers. Microsoft has now announced a removal of these restrictions for certain assemblies that should benefit cross-platform development.
The recently released DevExpress XAML 8 Controls v13.2 provides full support for all the core features of Windows 8.1 with a new PDF viewer, tile, flyout and radial menu controls.
The recently released WCF Data Services 5.6.0 provides support for Entity Framework 6 and provides an option either to upgrade or create nww OData services to target EF 6.
Recognizing the shift from 64-bit applications as server-specific to their broadened use on most platforms, Microsoft has announced the RyuJIT project, which is developing a vastly improved just-in-time compiler for .NET applications.
CONTENT IN THIS BOX PROVIDED BY OUR SPONSOR
Featured Offers and Resources:
- 5 Unsung Tools of DevOps
- Break Down Barriers and Reduce Cycle Times with DevOps
- 5 Key Phases in Creating a Successful Mobile App
- Ushering in a New Era of APM for the Enterprise
- IDC Analyst Connection: The Case for SaaS Application Performance Management
- Keeping the Mobile Enterprise Moving
Get visibility across your entire software ecosystem in one single intuitive UI. One tool for all you’re programming languages: Ruby, PHP, Java, .NET, Python, iOS and Android.
New Relic is the only fully SaaS web app performance tool that monitors your entire application stack in real time with a single product and a single UI.
New Relic lets you:
- Increase visibility: Monitor your web or mobile app’s overall health, performance and availability
- Troubleshoot proactively: Quickly identify issues before they disrupt critical services & impact your bottom line
- Scale languages: Monitor your current languages and scale your APM to optimize your future needs
- Keeping the Mobile Enterprise Moving
- Breaking Down ApDex
- Your Application Toolkit – One Platform to Easily View All Metrics
- In Any Language: Adapting to the Polyglot Programming Challenge
- App Developers-Agents of Change and Influence
- Are Your Mobile Apps Really Enterprise Ready?
On Demand Webinars:
- The Advantages of Mobile Application Performance Monitoring
- The Business Case for APM in the Enterprise
- Engaging Mobile Users: Maintaining Relationships After the Download