Article: Spring 2.0: What's New and Why it Matters
Read Spring 2.0 What's New and Why it Matters
What's the big picture in Spring 2.0? Rod provides a high level, after which zooming in on how to actually get started with each:
Spring is a featured topic on InfoQ for the next couple of months, you can see all of our in-depth Spring content at http://infoq.com/spring. Rod Johnson is also presenting on Spring 2 at QCon London (March 12-16).
- Configuration extensions: In Spring 2.0, Spring supports extensible XML configuration, enabling the development of custom elements that offer a new level of abstraction for generating Spring bean definitions. The XML extension mechanism also allows the provision of new tags to simplify many common tasks.
- Major enhancements in the AOP framework, which make it both more powerful and easier to use.
- Enhanced support for Java 5.
- The ability for Spring beans to be implemented in dynamic languages, such as Groovy, JRuby and Beanshell, while retaining all the services of the Spring component model, such as Dependency Injection, out of the box declarative services and AOP.
- Many new features including a Portlet MVC framework, "message driven POJOs," integration with new APIs including the Java Persistence API (JPA) and an asynchronous task execution framework.
Many products build on Spring, and their configuration can become simpler using namespaces. A good example is Acegi Security for Spring (to be rebranded Spring Security in early 2007)
Where can I find out more information on this? Are the Acegi package names going to change again and will they be included in spring.jar?
Excellent article, Rod!
Will the 2nd article also be posted on InfoQ?
nicest article but...
Joshua H. Song
A: do you know how to store an elephant in your fridge?
B: i don't know
A: simple. first, open the fridge's door, second, push the elephant into the fridge, third, close the door.
is spring 2.0 really worthy to be versioned as 2.0?
oohhhh i'm getting fuzzy in this world of two dot o.
Ben Linders Aug 27, 2014
Gilad Bracha Aug 27, 2014