OpenJDK Project Releases Java Module System (JSR 277) and Improved Modularity (JSR 294) EA Snapshot
Currently implemented features include:
- Implementation of the classes in java.module
- Module initialization and class loading
- LocalRepository and URLRepository core functionality
- Launching modules using the java command
- Prototype jam packaging tool
The project has a fair amount of documentation available:
For additional insight, a Google Tech Talk featuring Stanley Ho, JSR 277 specification lead, and Michal Ciernia, a contributing member in the expert group, details the current design.
Andreas Sterbenz offers these additional pertinent random notes regarding the snapshot:
- This is a live development snapshot. It is not a beta. Nothing is complete and polished.
- It is source code for developers. No binaries at this time.
- Not much of the JSR 294 implementation is included, because not much exists so far. This will change.
- The way to get the source is by downloading a ZIP file that includes all source code in the
j2seworkspace. That's why it is 68 MB, not because the Modules implementation is that large. We expect to get something more convenient - such as a Mercurial repository - before too long.
- All the new code in the Modules project is under the GPLv2 (plus classpath exception).
- Regression and unit tests are included.
Juergen Hoeller,Stéphane Nicoll Dec 18, 2014
Helen Walton Dec 17, 2014