Oracle Coherence 3.5 Brings Enhanced WebLogic Support and Tera-Scale Data Grids
Today Oracle announced the release of Coherence 3.5. From the press release the new version includes:
- Oracle Coherence 3.5 now provides tera-scale support to in-memory data grids through configurable off-heap storage.
- This new version introduces Guardian, a safeguard that automatically detects and corrects service disruptions.
- Oracle Coherence 3.5 provides native integration with Oracle WebLogic Server and Oracle WebLogic Portal, dramatically boosting the performance and scalability of applications deployed on these products.
- In addition, Oracle Coherence 3.5 also includes a significant performance boost in the Coherence*Web session management module.
InfoQ sat down with Oracle's Cameron Purdy to discuss the new release. Purdy noted that Oracle is continuing to make development of clustered applications easier with each new Coherence release. Along those lines in 3.5 he mentioned the continued WebLogic integration and new Guardian feature that automatically detects service disruptions. Purdy also highlighted the Coherence incubator which has grown to include implementations of core application building blocks such as command pattern and messaging frameworks.
In addition to simplification Coherence 3.5 also brings "tera-scale" grid support. InfoQ asked Purdy to provide some insight into what this means for customers of Coherence. Purdy explained that in the past users of on-heap storage would have to run many VMs per machine (assuming it has 60GB of memory) to make use of all its memory in the cluster. However, Coherence 3.5 includes a reorganization of off heap storage support allowing one node leverage far greater memory on a physical machine via off heap NIO access. This has a number of benefits including simplier configuration and better performance. It also widens the green zone of cluster sizes that Coherence supports with minimal tuning.
Coherence 3.5 Public Webcast - Live Webcast with Cameron Purdy
REGISTER for this live webcast.
Learn how the new features and functionality in Oracle Coherence 3.5 can help you:
- Support multiterabyte data grids while reducing their operational complexity
- Improve service levels by automatically detecting and correcting service disruptions
- Improve the online customer experience for competitive advantage
Register now for this complimentary Webcast on July 29th at 9 AM PDT!
Todd Montgomery Dec 19, 2014