WCF 5.0 – Vocabularies, Actions And Improved Spatial Support
The new features are mainly to support the enhancements in OData v3. Following are some of the interesting ones -
- Vocabularies – Annotations, mainly to provide richer description (metadata regarding type validations/ranges/display, for e.g.) for data published via OData
- Action Providers – a way to inject behavior by describing URIs in the data – sending a request to these URIs can cause some action to be taken. This can also work with Entity Framework.
- 16 new Spatial Primitives, that enable clients to perform operations on geospatial data in filter, select and orderby clauses
- ODataLib now supports serialization and deserialization of all OData payloads
- EdmLib - allows to build EDM of a service for OData Serialization/Deserialization, including support for annotations
- Support for Any/All Queries (but no Join yet)
The RTM can be downloaded from the Microsoft Download center.
WCF Data Services enables the creation and consumption of OData services. OData protocol is a new data-sharing standard promoted by Microsoft that aims to bridge the disparity between various service providers and consumers and promote interoperability.
Ben Linders May 28, 2015