Planning 101 for Agile Teams
Planning is actually critical and central to Agile work, because of its empirical nature. Agile teams plan, execute, inspect, adapt... plan again.
On the Rally Software corporate blog, coach Stacia Heimgartner has outlined five levels of planning which help set good expectations with all levels of the organization. The level of detail at each level is appropriate to the audience, and accuracy of estimates increases as one moves from the executive "Make it So: at Level 1 to the team's "Making it So" at level 5:
- Level 1: Vision Planning – Product owner and executives.
- Level 2: Release Roadmap Planning – Product owner, executives and team.
- Level 3: Release Planning – Product owner, stakeholders and team.
- Level 4: Iteration Planning – Team (with product owner).
- Level 5: Daily Planning – Team (daily status meeting).
Shane Hastie on Distributed Agile Teams, Product Ownership and the Agile Manifesto Translation Program
Shane Hastie Apr 17, 2015