JetBrains Releases ReSharper 4.0 with Many Improvements, C# 3.0 Support
JetBrains has released the much-anticipated productivity Visual Studio add-in, ReSharper 4.0. Resharper 4.0 includes many improvements and new features.
This release has support for C# 3.0 including LINQ and general support for Visual Studio 2008. As with previous versions of ReSharper, there are are two specialized editions, one for C# and the other for VB.NET.
Significant improvements and new features in ReSharper 4.0 include:
- Full Support for C# 3.0 and LINQ - ReSharper 4 Full Edition and C# Edition provide comprehensive support for C# 3.0, including LINQ, implicitly typed locals and arrays, extension methods, automatic properties, lambda expressions, object & collection initializers, anonymous types, expression trees, and partial methods.
- Annotations for .NET Framework Class Library - Annotations come with a
special set of custom attributes that greatly enhance the quality of
ReSharper's code analysis, such as the location of possible NullReferenceEx.
Even more rewarding is that the set of attributes is available for all users
to annotate their own code.
- Solution-Wide Analysis - ReSharper looks for erroneous C# code in your
whole solution on the fly, that is, without compiling it first. It can
discover errors which cannot be detected by analyzing a single file.
- Code Cleanup - A flexible code compliance and formatting tool that brings
together a dozen of ReSharper features. In addition to fine-tuning
formatting style, you can opt to remove code redundancies, migrate to
anonymous types and auto-properties, make fields read-only if possible,
optimize using directives, and revamp your C# code with many more settings.
Code Cleanup works in batch mode, so that you can instantly clean the whole
project or even solution with a single shortcut.
- New Refactorings - New members of the refactoring family are available,
including Inline Method and a pack of C# 3.0-specific refactorings. For
VB.NET, all refactorings that were previously limited to C# 2.0 are now
available for Visual Basic 8.
Productivity Features and Performance Enhancements:
- Complete Statement - Inserts the necessary syntax elements (braces,
semicolons etc.) and gets you in position to start the next statement,
saving on excessive juggling with the caret.
- CamelHumps in Code Completion - Lets you complete any symbol by
entering only its uppercase characters.
- Live Templates Editor & Manager - Improved user interface for viewing
and managing code templates.
- Recent Edits - A drop-down list that shows the files and symbols that
you recently modified.
Improvements have also been made to significantly speed-up the analysis of ASP.NET pages. More in-depth details on the features above can be found on the What's New in ReSharper 4.0 page from the JetBrains web site. A free 30-day day trial is also available.
Plugins available for ReSharper 4.0
Craig Motlin Sep 01, 2014