Ruby 1.9 Roundup: State Of i18n and Unicode, Feature Freeze for 1.9.1, Gems 1.3
Tim Bray notes a new change in the Ruby 1.9.x trunk - Matz has now added
String#each_codepoint, as a result of a lengthy discussion on ruby-core.
String#each_codepointallows to iterate over every codepoint in a string object.
String#each_codepointis one of the features to appear in future 1.9.x versions, such as 1.9.1 which is scheduled to be released in December 2008. The feature freeze for 1.9.1 was on 25th September. Ruby 1.9.0-5, the next milestone before the release candidates is on the way and should be released soon (All changes in the Ruby 1.9.x trunk).
One of the latest changes is Ruby Gems 1.3, which was included just before the feature freeze. Ruby Gems 1.3 has also just been released for Ruby 1.8.x. The major changes in Gems 1.3:
* RubyGems doesn't print LOCAL/REMOTE titles for `gem query` and friends if stdout is not a TTY, except with --both
* Added Gem.find_files, allows a gem to discover features provided by other gems.
* Added pre/post (un)install hooks for packagers of RubyGems. (Not for gem themselves).
* RubyGems now installs gems into ~/.gem if GEM_HOME is not writable. Use --no-user-install command-line switch to disable this behavior.
* Fetching specs for update now uses If-Modified-Since requests.
* RubyGems now updates the ri cache when the rdoc gem is installed and documentation is generated.
Helen Walton Dec 17, 2014
Heather Hassebroek and Kent McDonald on Positive Politics, Organisational Change, Leadership Engagement and Sharing Experiences through Stories
Heather Hassebroek and Kent McDonald Dec 17, 2014
Monica Beckwith Dec 16, 2014