WSO2 Launches StratosLive PaaS and the Stratos 1.5 Platform
WSO2 announced last week the launch of Stratos 1.5, a Cloud Middleware Platform, and the StratosLive PaaS. Together, they enable the development and deployment of SOA and composite applications in the Cloud. StratosLive PaaS is a new hosted service powered by WSO2 Stratos. Stratos and StratosLive enable developers to migrate their applications and services between on-premise servers, a private PaaS, a public PaaS, and hybrid cloud environments.
Sanjiva Weerawarana, WSO2 founder and CEO explained:
The cloud is a compelling platform for enabling enterprises to combine the agility they’ve gained by employing SOAs and composite applications with an extended reach and greater cost efficiencies. At WSO2, we’re delivering on this promise by providing [an] open and complete PaaS
WSO2 StratosLive and WSO2 Stratos include the ten offerings first launched with WSO2 Stratos 1.0:
- WSO2 Enterprise Service Bus as a Service
- WSO2 Data Services as a Service
- WSO2 Business Processes as a Service
- WSO2 Business Rules as a Service
- WSO2 Business Activity Monitoring as a Service
- WSO2 Mashups as a Service
- WSO2 Application Server as a Service
- WSO2 Portals as a Service (based on WSO2 Gadget Server)
- WSO2 Governance as a Service
- WSO2 Identity as a Service
WSO2 also added four new offerings:
- WSO2 Data as a Service provides both SQL and NoSQL databases to users based on both MySQL and Apache Cassandra. This allows users to self-provision a database in the cloud and to choose the right model for their applications. MySQL provides compatibility with existing JDBC and SQL code, while Apache Cassandra extends the model to provide elastic scalability, key-value paradigm support, and highly consistent read-write performance under load and scale. In both cases, WSO2 Data as a Service is offered as a full multi-tenant capability, providing increased efficiency, lower costs, and instant self-service provisioning.
- WSO2 Complex Event Processing as a Service is the full multi-tenant cloud version of WSO2 CEP Server, which launched in June 2011 and supports multiple CEP engines, including Drools Fusion and Esper, to enable complex event processing and event stream analysis. Using it, developers and architects can easily create queries and analyses of real-time event streams to drive real-time business decisions and alerts.
- WSO2 Message Broker as a Service is the full multi-tenant cloud version of WSO2 Message Broker, which launched in June 2011 and supports message queuing and publish-subscribe to enable message-driven and event-driven solutions in the enterprise. It uses Apache Qpid as the core messaging engine to implement the Advanced Message Queuing Protocol (AMQP) standard—the only widely supported open standard wire-protocol for messaging.
- WSO2 Cloud Services Gateway (WSO2 CSG), first launched as a separate single- tenant product, is now a fully multi-tenant product within WSO2 Stratos and WSO2 StratosLive. WSO2 CSG provides a managed, secure tunnel into the enterprise from the cloud. Applications of WSO2 CSG include protecting APIs, providing a firewall for services, ensuring private data access, bridging hybrid clouds, and offering security verification.
Central cloud features such as multi-tenancy, automatic metering and monitoring, auto-scaling, centralized governance and identity management, and single sign-on are built directly into the core platform which is built on an integration layer that allows it to install onto any existing cloud infrastructure such as Eucalyptus, Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud, Amazon Elastic Computing Cloud (EC2), and VMware ESX.
Stratos added several new core enhancements. It allows, for instance, developers to build their own SaaS Web applications and use the multi-tenant WSO2 as a service to manage tenant identities. It integrates readily with Google Apps user directories, enabling OpenID SSO into WSO2 Statos using an authorized Google Apps user name and password. Stratos also supports metering and throttling to manage tenant's capacity levels. WSO2 also added a billing module that lets companies generate monthly invoices and send email notifications.
How Can We Use Our Creative Power and Technological Opportunity to Address the Challenges of the 21st Century?
Gyorgyi Galik Feb 26, 2015