Winning with DevOps
Rebel Labs recently released a productivity report indicating DevOps is a key initiative for 2013 with tangible benefits for engineers, managers, and businesses. The report includes findings in the following categories: the work week, application failures/responses, tools, and software releases. Rebel Labs' message is summed up as follows in the report:
DevOps as a cultural and technological methodology should be a pure win for most organizations--although how painful the path will be getting there depends on different factors.
- DevOps teams spend more time than traditional IT Ops automating repetitive tasks, improving infrastructure, working on self improvement, and doing social activities.
- DevOps teams are twice as likely to recover from failures in less than 10 minutes when compared to traditional IT Ops.
- DevOps teams release software in half as much time as traditional IT Ops.
- Test Automation: Selenium, Junit
- Infrastructure Configuration: Puppet, Chef
- Monitoring: Nagios
- Scripting Languages: Bash Shell Script, Python, Ruby, Perl
- Popular Editors: Vi/Vim/Gvim
Ben Linders May 28, 2015