Scrum and XP from the Trenches - 2nd Edition
This second edition is an annotated version, a “director’s cut” where Henrik reflects upon the content and shares new insights gained since the first version of the book.
The tricky part to agile software development is that there is no manual telling you exactly how to do it. You have to experiment and continuously adapt the process until it suits your specific situation.
This book aims to give you a head start by providing a detailed down-to-earth account of how one Swedish company implemented Scrum and XP with a team of approximately 40 people and how they continuously improved their process over a year’s time.
Under the leadership of Henrik Kniberg they experimented with different team sizes, different sprint lengths, different ways of defining “done”, different formats for product backlogs and sprint backlogs, different testing strategies, different ways of doing demos, different ways of synchronizing multiple Scrum teams, etc. They also experimented with XP practices – different ways of doing continuous build, pair programming, test driven development, etc, and how to combine this with Scrum.
This book includes:
- Practical tips and tricks for most Scrum and XP practices
- Typical pitfalls and how they were addressed
- Diagrams and photos illustrating day-to-day work
- Testing and test-driven development
- Scaling and coordinating multiple teams
- Dealing with resistance from inside and outside the team
- Planning and time estimation techniques
If you enjoyed reading the free download version, please support the author and InfoQ's book series by buying the print version for only $25.00.
Here you can find the translated versions of the book:
- German, thanks to Maria Oelinger
Table of contents
Foreword by Jeff Sutherland
Foreword by Mike Cohn
- How we do product backlogs
- How we prepare for Sprint planning
- How we do Sprint planning
- How we communicate Sprints
- How we do Sprint backlogs
- How we arrange the team room
- How we do daily Scrum
- How we do Sprint demos
- How we do Sprint retrospectives
- Slack time between Sprints
- How we do release planning and fixed priced contracts
- How we combine Scrum with XP
- How we do testing
- How we handle multiple Scrum teams
- How we handle geographically distributed teams
- Scrum master checklist
- Parting words