BT

Angular 2: "We're Really Close"

| by David Iffland Follow 4 Followers on Oct 20, 2015. Estimated reading time: 2 minutes |

In the keynote session of AngularConnect in London, Brad Green gave attendees a status update on the Angular 2 project. There is still no release date, but a beta is just around the corner.

Green started the keynote by reassuring developers of Google's commitment to Angular 1. At a previous conference, he said that they would gauge where to spend their time based on traffic to the Angular 1 website vs. the Angular 2 website. For now, 93% of the traffic is still on Angular 1, though the remaining 7% surprised him. Speaking about the use of Angular within Google, "We are going to be on Angular 1 for some time, even though we've just started to adopt Angular 2 internally," said Green. Driving the point home, he also mentioned that there have been 32 Angular 1 releases so far this year.

Moving on to Angular 2, the server-side rendering feature of Angular now has a name. Dubbed "Angular Universal", it executes the first page of your app on the server and sends back HTML and CSS. Jeff Whelpley and Patrick Stapleton will demo the new feature in a session later today. Developers can check out the current work on GitHub.

Igor Minar took the stage to demonstrate a new tool called angular-cli. It's based on the ember-cli project and allows developers to use the command line to scaffold pieces of an application. For example:

ng new my-app // Scaffold an application, including HTML and TypeScript
ng serve      // Create a development web server that hooks into the dev process
ng generate component my-component // Creates a new component

Other companies stopped by to show some of the products they're building on Angular 2. The Ionic team announced that Ionic 2, built with Angular 2, is now a public alpha. Telerik demonstrated Angular 2's ability to work with non-HTML templates, showcasing a native mobile app that uses Angular 2 and NativeScript in concert. Uri Goldshtein from Meteor dropped by to feature Angular 2's Rendering Speed.

Following up on the recent announcement of ng-upgrade, Misko Hevery provided a sample app to demonstrate its use, combining Angular 1 and Angular 2 in the same app.

A new Angular team member, Jules Kremer, made an important announcement to attendees. Before, the team said that they would only support "evergreen" browsers (Edge, Chrome, Firefox, Safari). But, thanks to work in the community, browser support how now been extended all the way back to IE 9.

Green wrapped up the keynote with an update on the release date:

We really wanted to come up here and say "we're at beta"; we're not quite there. But, we're really close. [For beta], there's just a couple more things we want to do. We want to finish the docs and there's some P1 issues -- there's about 50 of them -- we want to burn down before we tell you, "The water's completely safe, come on in"

The AngularConnect conference runs today and tomorrow. The sessions are streaming live and will be available for viewing individual soon. The keynote slides are available now.

Rate this Article

Adoption Stage
Style

Hello stranger!

You need to Register an InfoQ account or or login to post comments. But there's so much more behind being registered.

Get the most out of the InfoQ experience.

Tell us what you think

Allowed html: a,b,br,blockquote,i,li,pre,u,ul,p

Email me replies to any of my messages in this thread

Misko did not speak in the conference by Mohammed Zaman

I listened to the whole conference but did not see Misko speaking

Re: Misko did not speak in the conference by David Iffland

Hi Mohammed,

You are correct, he is not in attendance. He did provide the sample app referenced in the article and it was mentioned by Green on stage.

Don't rush by LG Optimusv

Take your time to complete the documentation before saying Angular 2 is ready. The more examples, the better.
My 2 cents.

Aurelia FTW: http://aurelia.io/ by cowboy cowboy

Aurelia FTW: aurelia.io/

Angular 2 is just too ugly.

Angular 2 Beta - Burndown and Release date projection by Juri Strumpflohner

Hi,
I quickly assembled an app that visualizes the GitHub milestone stats over time. Makes it easier to get a feeling when beta will be released (hopefully):
juristr.com/apps/ng2beta/

Nowhere near production ready by John Green

I would hold back on your launch. I think you need to revisit much of what you have done in Angular 2. I do not see it as suitable at this time for large scale applications.

In particular, you need to revisit your entire import process. It is reminiscent of the now defunct asp3.

Really close? by Jeff Michelson

October 2015 - "We're really close"
Six months later - "We're really close"

Allowed html: a,b,br,blockquote,i,li,pre,u,ul,p

Email me replies to any of my messages in this thread

Allowed html: a,b,br,blockquote,i,li,pre,u,ul,p

Email me replies to any of my messages in this thread

7 Discuss
BT